Vanessa Carter Biography:
Vanessa is a design thinker and entrepreneur with 20 years in advertising and 10 years of patient experience in the private and public health sector in South Africa. (Read her story here). She is an international ePatient speaker and digital health activist. She is the founder of #hcsmSA (Health Care Social Media South Africa) which is a virtual health 2.0 community and members meet monthly in a TweetChat recorded by Symplur analytics. The hcsmSA community requires a socially-good driven sponsor to expand further.
Vanessa was a creative director of Artext, a branding company which she established in 1997. Artext were nominated in the top 25 entrepreneurs at the National Small Business Chamber of Commerce (NSBC) in 2013. Vanessa believes that small businesses and entrepreneurs shouldn’t be underestimated in the growth of the economy. Further to this, that grass-root citizen projects are under-recognised. She was awarded the Woman of Substance, Woman of the Year Award in 2015 for her commitment to female entrepreneurship, community upliftment and digital health activism.
– Awarded a Scholarship in 2015 from the Society of Participatory Medicine (S4PM) in recognition of her articles.
– First South African patient to moderate a global health TweetChat
– Women of Substance – Woman of the Year Award – 2015
– Top 25 entrepreneur in South Africa (NSBC AWARDS 2013)
– Best Student of the Year in Art – 1997
– Mogale Chamber of Commerce – Small Business Achiever Nominee 2006
– 1st Place – Novice B 15-17 yrs – Piano – West Rand Festival of Music
– 1st Place – Teachers section – Piano – West Rand Festival of Music
– President of a BNI (Business Networking International) chapter in Johannesburg, 2010
– International Ambassador, Judge and Speaker for Doctors 2.0 & You, Paris (Associated to Stanford University – MedX)
– EyeforPharma – ePatient Panel Advisor
– First African eHealth Activist in The Walking Gallery of Healthcare in Washington D.C. Her Jacket is called Reconciliation
– Member of Inspiring Women – Gauteng
– ePatient Advisory Board Member – InfectionControl.tips
– Contributing Author – eHealth News Africa
– ePatient Advisory Board Member – Docola
– Published short story of her facial reconstruction in the best-selling “Chocolates & Diamonds – 100 international female achievers”
Volunteering and Causes:
Volunteer for the Smile Foundation
Founder of the FaceSA Project
Founder of hcsmSA.org
Advisory Board – Patient empowerment CSI program – Little Gems Special Needs School, Johannesburg
Emerging Technology in Medicine, Genomics, Data-driven Healthcare, Patient-driven Innovation, Precision Medicine, Art and Science, Internet of Things, Global Health, Sustainable Development, Activism, Disability, Diversity and Inclusion, Entrepreneurship.
Fine Art and Graphic Design
(Distinctions for Drawing & 3D. Received Best Student Award)
(1996 – 1997)
Classical – Contemporary Piano – Grade 10 / Teachers
Alex Benjamen School of Music
(Completed with Superior Honors 90-98%)
1995, expertise on creative improvisation
Creative Director – Artext Advertising
(1997 – 2015)
Small Business Brand Development
Graphic design, logo design, brand development, CMS website design, Search Engine Optimization, Online Marketing, Social Media Marketing, Printed Media.
Creative Director – Artext Medical Websites
(2013 – 2015)
Medical Websites and Health Care Social Media
CMS medical website design with patient education (3D Animation, Illustration, Video), Health Care Social Media (hcsm)